Do you think it's too hard - or not? This is the quiz which was on the tables at the launch on Friday. Some people scored high marks without the benefit of Google. Thanks to Mary Francis for putting it together.
1. Who wrote ʻThe Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christʼ?
2. What is the name of Peter Robinsonʼs detective character?
3. Don Quixote, Cervantesʼ famous hero, hailed from which part of Spain?
4. Although much better known for her novels, she was also a friend of Charlotte Brontë and wrote the first biography of her. Who is she?
5. Nigerian Chimamanda Ngozi Adichieʼs first novel was ʻPurple Hibiscusʼ. Can you name her second one, winner of the 2007 Orange Prize?
6. Who wrote ʻSouth Ridingʼ, recently produced (in shortened form) on TV?
7. Who was the author of ʻTestament of Youthʼ?
8. How are the two authors from questions 6 and 7 linked?
9. Who wrote ʻOde to a Nightingaleʼ?
10. Who is the Scottish author of both contemporary and science fiction, whose name changes with genre by the use of the initial ʻMʼ?
11. Name the Egyptian author of ʻThe Map of Loveʼ who is also a political and social commentator and who reported directly from Tahrir Square, Cairo, recently? Or - name the most famous work by Naguib Mahfouz. [Bonus point if get both answers]
12. Name any novel by Jonathan Coe.
13. From which Kingʼs Cross platform does the Hogwarts Express leave?
14. The name of Kathryn Stockartʼs 2010 bestseller that features the lives of three women, two black and one white, in the Mississippi of 1962.
15. ʻOur Kind of Traitorʼ is the latest title by whom?
16. Can you name the famous Spanish poet who is author of the play ʻYermaʼ, currently on at the West Yorkshire Playhouse?
17. Famous detective series, based on books by R.D.Wingfield, filmed in West Yorkshire.
18. Name Ben Okriʼs most famous book. [Bonus point for his latest novel, of 2007, also.]
19. What is Jonathan Franzenʼs latest, highly acclaimed, title?
20. Which of these titles is not an Agatha Christie mystery? (a) 4.50 from Paddington (b) The Mystery of the Blue Train (c) Death on the Tracks (d) Murder on the Orient Express.