Tuesday 8 March 2016

Jauja - in partnership with Films at Heart

Georgia Davies writes:
In my experience, film screenings almost always bring out the unexpected. As I entered the Heart Centre’s main hall, tonight converted into a small cinema with its hanging lanterns and comfy seats, and as I was greeted by an array of smiling faces, I wasn’t really sure what I should expect from this partnership event with Films at Heart.

Doug Sandle on location at his house
As the audience took their seats, Doug Sandle introduced the three short films that would start the event. These were contributions from the Cinage European programme on film and active ageing. All explored the theme of the celebration of growing older and self-reflection on the experience. 

Swimming Pool was a beautiful account of an encounter between a retired teacher and former student in the local swimming pool. Trapped masterfully depicted the consequences of being locked out of the house, and the protagonist certainly had some creative solutions to the problems he faced. For me the most moving of the three was Know Thyself, a truly heart-warming and colourful short exploring saying goodbye and finding peace within oneself. As a twenty-something university student, it would be unfair to say that I am capable of fully understanding the experience of growing older, but nonetheless these films were of such a good standard and were truly moving.


Corto (Diego Roman) and Ingeborg (Viilbjørk Malling Agger) 

The main event was the award winning Jauja by Argentine director Lisandro Alonso. While a little slow paced at times, this was undoubtedly a beautifully crafted film, with stunning scenography shown in a vignette of rich colours and incredible Patagonian landscapes. The writing and soundtrack itself was as sparse as the plains that Captain Gunnar (performed by Viggo Mortensen) traverses on horseback throughout most of the film. 

The howling wind that permeated the whole room is what I took away with me as I returned home later that evening, and the challenge of unlocking the mysteries that Alonso subtly gestured to his audience. “What is it that makes a life function and move forward?” Gunnar could not answer that question, and I get the feeling it’ll be a long time before I can answer that one myself.

Audience Comments
Strange film. Wonderful sense of time and quite pictorial. Would like to see more Scandinavian films.

Interesting … intriguing … weird

Unusual film – beautifully filmed on location. Good soundtrack.

The short films were very good. The Danish film thought-provoking.

Weird film but enjoyable evening.

Three shorts which were good; main film very obscure

Good photography and music. Periods of tedium and a strange story.

Very intriguing film!

I will search for the meaning in my dreams!

Too deep for me!

Intriguing!

A bit strange

Dotted lines would be helpful. Thoroughly enjoyed the shorts, especially the swimming pool. The film was indeed very intriguing.


Intriguing film

No comments: